Dean's Reviews > Distrust That Particular Flavor

Distrust That Particular Flavor by William Gibson

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from February 20 to March 19, 2012

This book I will be re-reading many times. As much as Mr Gibson is self depricating about his ability to write in a non-fiction sense. His insight and perspective is sharp, funny and insightful. He comes across as a friendly guide at times, one that likes to poke your mind occasionally to look beyond the shiny surfaces of the future, or futurism for the cracks, grime and underpinning structure that a future is built on but doesn't always erase.
Reading this has made me want to re-read his catalogue as there are many images, ideas, thoughts that he comments on that have informed his fiction writing, and it would be interesting to revisit the "classics" armed with the code contain within 'Distrust'.
Highly recommendable, especially if you are a visitor to Japan. When asked why Japan features heavily in his ficiton, Gibson replies "Japan is the global imagination's default setting for the future." He writes abit about his journeys, both physical and mental, in Japan and I enjoy seeing all these and more through the Gibsonian lens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distrust That Particular Flavor.