Amber Berry's Reviews > The Plots Against the President: FDR, A Nation in Crisis, and the Rise of the American Right

The Plots Against the President by Sally Denton

F_50x66
Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: history
Read from February 20 to March 02, 2012

It's been six months since I've read this book, and I've wanted to write a review for some time. I'm not sure why I've been unable to write some concise comments. Now, I'll make a small effort.

Published in 2012, I came across this under 'New Books' when I was making a list of possible reads on the FDR presidency. While reading about four Supreme Court justices appointed by FDR, I was amazed to read about domestic terrorists of the time. One man blew himself up in front of the home of a WW I government official who was a neighbor of FDR (himself working in Washington at the time.) That influenced my choice of this book.

With the title of the book referencing "plots," I expected there to be more than TWO plots examined. (first disappointment)

That being said, there was much detailed, well cited information of the times. This was helpful in educating me because when I was in high school, we ended our US history with WW II, basically war history. We had very little domestic history of the twentieth century as we would be rushing toward the end of the school year. In college, I studied world and Asian history. I've since asked my mother about the depression and war years and she doesn't really say much. She didn't follow politics when she was in high school, and while growing up on a farm, she was used to years of plenty followed by years of belt-tightening.

back to the book: As regards the two incidents that were plotted, I felt the writing lacking. Maybe there just isn't enough precise information to draw upon, but I think the narrative could have been written more smoothly. I was appalled to learn that an attempt was made on the life of FDR before he was even inaugurated and saddened to learn that the mayor of Chicago was shot and lingered between life and death for weeks. This happened in Florida! The other incident sounds more contemporary and seems to have been more of a conspiracy, yet I was unsatisfied with the details given. (following disappointments)

In summation, I liked the research and background story and based my rating on them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plots Against the President.