Erin's Reviews > Mary's Wedding

Mary's Wedding by Stephen Massicotte

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: plays, tearjerkers
Read from February 20 to 22, 2012

I saw the world premiere of the opera based on this play. The opera was fantastic (though hearing opera in English is very weird), and I had to read the original play.
This play was fantastic. It's a gorgeous two-hander about first love and loss told through a dream on the eve of Mary's wedding, two years after the end of World War One. Mary and Charlie are both believable characters, and while the star-crossed lovers thing has been greatly overdone, you still feel a connection to these two.
When I read a play, it's because I've chosen a monologue from it or it's a required reading for a class. Rarely do I ever read a play just because. Plays are meant to be seen, not read. That being said, I would read this one again. This is probably the first time I've ever cried after READING a play. With only the dialogue, I normally require the delivery of the actors and the world that the designers have created before I can moved that much by the piece. Which obviously wasn't the case with Mary's Wedding.
I would recommend this as a reading for any young actor out there or anyone who enjoys a good story. You won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary's Wedding.