Simon's Reviews > Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman

Paul and Me by A.E. Hotchner

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: almost-never-read, why-did-i-read-this
Read from February 19 to March 03, 2012, read count: 1

So meh, I guess I'm not a huge fan of all biographies. This book was still a wonderful insight to the famous Actor Paul Newman.

I had only ever heard of the man when I had seen Cars in 2006, and I remember being extremely sad upon hearing of his death because I knew that if a Cars 2 was made, which did actually happen in 2011, Newman's character Doc Hudson would not be in the film.

But way before that, since Cars was Newman's last feature film ever. I got to learn about how he met his best friend and author of this book, A.E. Hotchner, as well as his wife and I learned a lot about his life.

From his son's tragic death to the creation of a salad dressing that became one of the top rated brands in the United States, and opening up a kids camp for cancer patients. All of Newman's charitable works and his outright unique personality is one of the factors that not only made him a great and beloved actor, but those very same qualities are what makes up a well loved and unforgettable man.

Hotchner described his excursions with Newman wonderfully and I got clear pictures of what was going on, of course the many photographs with italicization in the descriptions helped along :P
This book was still alright and it did close with the sad implication that Paul Newman was about to die.

RIP Paul, you are missed, but will remain forever alive through your films, your dressings and sauces and salsa, oh and of course your popcorn. But also in the minds and hearts of the patients you helped, and their families, and all the readers of this book, who will have learned something about you that they may not have known before, like me. I had no idea you were the face on the Newman's Own products...way to put two and two together huh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paul and Me.

02/20/2012 page 26