Michael's Reviews > The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam

Jun 26, 2012

bookshelves: history
Read from February 19 to June 26, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coldest Winter.

02/19/2012 page 61
06/10/2012 page 372
51.0% "Gen. MacArthur might have been a WW2 war hero but his ego and entourage of syncophants led to the largest ambush in the history of modern warfare. His was not a failure by politics but a failure brought about by his own delusion and narcissism."
06/26/2012 page 647
88.0% "When you finish reading a book, you should be left feeling the time was well-spent. Now that I have reached the epilogue I can say this account of the Korean War has made me appreciate its costs I am saddened by the loss of life on all sides. South Korea and Taiwan would be very different today had many Americans not protected the South from the North. ."
06/26/2012 page 648
88.0% "In many respects the loss of American lives falls upon the shoulders of three soldiers, MacArthur, Almond, and Willoughby. These men, guilty of following their own hubris and surrounding themselves with syncophants, were responsible for making the Korean War a tragic episode in modern history"
06/26/2012 page 664
90.0% "Halberstam used primary sources for this book, interviewing and befriending many soldiers who served in Korea, including aide to Ned Almond, and Matthew Ridgway himself. Halberstam, a journalist during Vietnam, also wrote "The Best and the Brightest" considered a seminal work of Vietnam literature."