Pearce Hansen's Reviews > Hilda's Big Day Out: A Short Story

Hilda's Big Day Out by Allan Guthrie

Feb 20, 12

Read in February, 2012

Hilda is very sweet . . . which I'll bet you thought you'd never hear either from me, or from Al Guthrie. It's so easy to induce a diabetic coma if you overdo the treacle in an animal story -- Al succeeds in making Hilda a vibrant, believable little character, an ANIMAL, not an anthropomorphized little Disney creature, but still sympathetic and (dare I say it again?) sweet. This is a fun tale, worth the read.

If you're looking for dark and nasty noir and feel the title piece isn't quite your cup of tea, the other three bonus shorts are as cold and bitter as the masochist in you could ever hope for. It's hazardous to discuss plot dynamics too much in a short story -- plot spoilers are a real danger when reviewing them. But I will specify that Bye Bye Baby was a real wrencher for me.

This is a decent sampling of Al Guthrie doing some shorts you can while away a bit with. The writing quality is high, the stories are top notch, and this piece is worth your attention.

And Hilda is a little sweetheart :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hilda's Big Day Out.