Jennifer's Reviews > It Chooses You

It Chooses You by Miranda July

Feb 19, 12

After owning this book for months and not picking it up (because I wasn't sure what to make of it), I loved it so much I read it cover to cover in one afternoon. It Chooses You tackles so many things at once - fear of being a terrible/fake/undeserving artist, fear of running out of ideas, fear of falling in love because that could mean someday losing that love, and fear of being alone. These themes are tackled from a couple different, and equally interesting angles. Miranda writes about her own difficulties writing a script using great self-effacing humor and honest revelations about her crippling moments as a writer. She also interviews a very strange and fascinating collection of people tied together by a loose thread of using the classifieds and not really getting computers. The subjects of her interviews are both moving and creepy, and the fact that they don't all fall into one side of the spectrum is great. It's also great the way that Miranda finds something she relates to in each of them, even the ones who houses she soon wants to leave. This book made me appreciate her movie The Future in a new way, but it also made me appreciate how refreshing it is for artists to write about their darker and uncomfortable moments in such an inspiring way.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Chooses You.