Addie R.'s Reviews > Never Enough

Never Enough by Denise Jaden

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: i-own, water-works, 2012-standalone-challenge, came-out-2012, contemporary, mental-illness
Read from July 06 to 09, 2012

Originally posted: http://addie-bookwormrecommendations....

Never Enough deals with multiple teen issues that can be relatable to anyone dealing with them. It had a fast moving plot, some romance and relatable situations. This was hard for me to review and is probably going to be short since I hadn’t had many thoughts while reading this.

The MC Loann has always been in the shadows compared to her beautiful and popular sister Claire. Loann was like any other teen, going through high school day to day. So in the beginning, nothing really interesting happened for me. But then Loann suspects that Claire is keeping secrets from her, and then her new friend Marcus is hiding something too and the story starts to get intriguing.

The characters in Never Enough were realistic and relatable, but I just couldn’t connect with them. A lot of the decisions they made I didn’t understand, or I didn't understand their reactions to them, so I didn't really sympathize for them. The only one I actually did sympathize for was Claire. Even though she made some decisions I couldn’t relate to, I still felt for her and hoped that she’d get better. Marcus was very mysterious and quiet so I really had no idea what was going on with him. And Loann just didn’t have enough depth for me to connect with her.

Overall, Never Enough was an enjoyable and heartbreaking read, but the story just lacked depth for me. I did like the ending - I almost came close to tears – and I will still be reading more of Jaden’s work. I know this review was super short, but I’m trying to avoid spoilers here. I recommend to fans of contemporary.

I did receive a copy for free but that doesn’t affect my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Enough.

Quotes Addie R. Liked

Denise Jaden
“Beauty isn't perfect. It's something to be felt and something to be breathed.”
Denise Jaden, Never Enough

07/06/2012 page 87
22.0% "Nothing really going on yet..."
07/08/2012 page 243
61.0% "It's getting goood... though not amazing or anything."