April's Reviews > The Heir (Windham, #1)

The Heir (Windham, #1) by Grace Burrowes

Feb 19, 12

Read in January, 2012

I'd been seeing this cover all over the place — on reader blogs and Twitter feeds — so when it went on sale for under a dollar as a Kindle download, I grabbed it. I'm glad I did; I found a story I liked, and it's a debut book, so the author will probably only get better with time.

I felt that the characters had a lot of depth to them. They're slightly different from the usual sort of characters you see in this genre of historical romance, so they stand out a little. The heroine was raised a lady but is working as a housekeeper in another household because she and her sister are in hiding. She also happens to be a very good housekeeper who pays attention to detail and really takes good care of her employers — i.e., the hero — so already you get to see how the hero and the heroine will fit together domestically. That's not something you see usually, and it was nice to see that.

I did have concerns, however, about the amount of marzipan and sweetened lemonade she regularly served the hero, despite the fact that they were his favorites. I kept imagining them 10 or 20 years down the line, where the poor hero has now gained an unattractive bit of weight and is almost diabetic from all that sugar. It's not a sexy thought, really, so perhaps there were too many mentions of the sweets served to the hero and the other men who will likely be heroes in their own books, the sequels no doubt.

Another thing I didn't like — that the heroine was so close-mouthed about her problems to the hero. He has clearly shown that he can be trusted and that she could depend on him to help, but her pride in keeping mum about her troubles really frustrated me. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but as time went on and she continued to keep her mouth shut on the subject, though it turned out that she actually had very little reason to keep quiet about the whole thing because she was so clearly on the right side of things that people could only sympathize with her plight, I became more and more annoyed with her because her silence could endanger her and her sister.

Despite that, I enjoyed the book and will be on the lookout for the author's next books. Between 3 or 4 stars for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir (Windham, #1).