Kati Lane's Reviews > Promised

Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien

Jan 26, 13

bookshelves: 2012
Read on October 06, 2012

I anticipated this book more than any other this year. I finished Birthmarked, Tortured (the bridge story), and Prized in record time and then regretted that I had not savored the experience a little more. I had expected this series to simply tide me over until I found something else I was interested in. I had recently become fascinated by dystopian fiction but never thought anything could come close to The Hunger Games. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

I don't wish to include spoilers in this review as I am desperate for others to read this series. Like other dystopia novels, the focus is on the brutality of the era. Poor distribution of wealth, the lack of regard for the needs of others, and the selfish acts by those in power are reflective of many similar stories. The most important difference between this and other novels of its kind are the relationships forged by the characters. The main character, Gaia, loves deeply, grieves for the loss of those she cares for, and feels exceptionally real. I plan to read this entire series again, now that I know what to expect. The first time through I rushed in an effort to simply know how the story unfolded. Now, I want to take my time and know the characters and understand the way their lives impact those around them. I know they definitely impacted me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promised.