John's Reviews > The Good Life

The Good Life by Charles W. Colson

May 24, 12

bookshelves: 4-star, spiritual-growth, 2012
Read from February 19 to May 24, 2012

Charles Colson was a major voice in support of the Christian worldview, though one of the major things I learned from his writing and radio programs was exsistance and impact of whatever your worldview is. I learned how your worldview colors how you interpret all information, and it helped me to understand the Bible's statement that people were ever seeing, but never understanding.

Along with that understanding, came the conviction to examine my own worldview and how it colored my understanding. The Good Life is, like many of Colson's works, a book about worldview. Specifically, which worldview can correctly answer the quesiton of what is a good life and how do I live it? He does this by telling several biographical stories of himself and others, exemplifying both correct and incorrect answers to that question.

It's a very good book, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure who I would recommend it to, though, because I'm not able to see how people with different beliefs or convictions would read it. But I guess that's part of Colson's point as well. Towards the end of the book he says that God cannot reveal Himself unambiguously, or free will would be meaningless. We always have the option to choose not to believe.

So, is it a good book? Yes. If you are a skeptic will it change your mind? In a large part, that's up to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Life.