Stephanie's Reviews > Across the Universe

2031409
Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, sci-fi, ya

high school & up

Amy and her parents are taking a journey to a new planet that needs colonizing. Since it is over 300 years away, they are traveling in storage. All of the colonists are frozen in suspended animation awaiting their arrival. Somehow Amy is revived and encounters great difficulty adjusting to life aboard the ship. Especially since there is unwelcome news concerning the expected arrival at the new planet.

One of the blurbs on the front of this book says "unforgettable opening scene." Pretty accurate. I've read plenty of science fiction where "cold storage" of people is mentioned. Until now I hadn't read a description of the process. Well, no I take that back. Heinlein did do a brief mention in The Door into Summer. Revis' description is much more detailed and descriptive.
After that there aren't many more comparisons with Heinlein. I only give those out sparingly. I just can't decide if I like Amy or not. Once revived she spends a great deal of time whining about her parents and pouting over a boy. What I did like was the way the society aboard the ship has changed. Over the generations that the journey requires a dictator has taken control and is managing the people on board through ignorance and medications. The limited gene pool and the conditions on board the ship are a really good backdrop to show the how drastically societies can change.