Laura's Reviews > The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence

The Curse of the Good Girl by Rachel Simmons

F 50x66
Feb 19, 2012

liked it
Read from February 19 to April 26, 2012

I thought this book had a lot of good information in the beginning and in the end, but got a little repetitive and boring for me in the middle. I did like the issues she brought up about how girls "work" in relationships and inappropriately treat all relationships as friendships, how they talk, and their self-talk. It was an interesting read to me as both a mother of two girls and also as a woman myself. I really liked her section at the end about how mothers are grown up versions of "good girls" and how being a "perfect" mother rather than a "real" mother is not only a disservice to yourself (and enough to drive you crazy, wear you out, etc.) but a disservice to our daughters who are watching us and then learning their role needs to include all of those "perfect mother" attributes. Very thought-provoking...oh, I need to take time for me, ask for help, have my own interests, not just for ME, but so that my daughter learns that part of being a mom is taking care of herself... Another favorite part was the discussion of how girls care a lot about if someone likes them before they've even decided for themselves if they like that person...why do we care so much if someone that we don't even like likes us? I think that is a great lesson to teach girls when dealing with friends and then when they are old enough to start dating. Find someone YOU like first.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of the Good Girl.