Abbie's Reviews > Beyond Molasses Creek

Beyond Molasses Creek by Nicole A. Seitz

May 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, christian-historical-fiction, blog-reviewed, netgalley-read, thomas-nelson
Read from March 22 to 28, 2012

3.5 Stars

Ally is 60 and heading back to the place she grew up called Molasses Creek. Her father has died and she is coming home to bury him and get his house in order. She is also coming home to memories and heartache and the author takes us throw the years that lead up to this point. Forbidden love, a lost child lots of heartache in this book for sure.

What I liked: The author is a very good writer the words flow wonderfully across the page and its easy to get caught up in the story. The characters come to life with humor and depth that make this book easy to read. The story does a good job of telling two separate stories that slowly start to tie together until they meet.

What I did not like: The book took time to get going the first 100 pages or so left me wondering where this was going and how the two characters telling the story where going to fit together. Also for me this was a sad book. Interesting but sad. Even though the ending was somewhat happy I wish the ending could have been a little different.

Over all this was a good book and even though its not something I would normally read I am glad I read it. I learned some a lot about slavery in other country's and how people are treated and it was quite sad. Ally’s story was sad for me as well. I just wanted her to find love after all those years and even though there was some closer on that front for her she did not get to ride off into the sunset with her prince and I really wished she could have. If you like a little deeper novel with a good story line and wonderfully written this book is for you but if you like your happy endings this one may leave you feeling a little disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Molasses Creek.