Janie's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

195986
Nov 10, 2012

bookshelves: chunksters, classics, really-excited-about-this-one, just-a-few-favorites-is-all, 2012-favorites, strong-women, 2012-april, classics-2012, top-ten, 2012-read, 2012-top-ten
Read from April 03 to 26, 2012

This book is my favorite.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

Quotes Janie Liked

Margaret Mitchell
“Dear Scarlett! You aren't helpless. Anyone as selfish and determined as you are is never helpless. God help the Yankees if they should get you." -Rhett Butler”

Margaret Mitchell
“Sir,"she said,"you are no gentleman!"

An apt observation,"he answered airily."And, you, Miss, are no lady.”

Margaret Mitchell
“I've always had a weakness for lost causes once they're really lost.”

Margaret Mitchell
“I wish to Heaven I was married," she said resentfully as she attacked the yams with loathing. "I'm tired of everlastingly being unnatural and never doing anything I want to do. I'm tired of acting like I don't eat more than a bird, and walking when I want to run and saying I feel faint after a waltz, when I could dance for two days and never get tired. I'm tired of saying, 'How wonderful you are!' to fool men who haven't got one-half the sense I've got, and I'm tired of pretending I don't know anything, so men can tell me things and feel important while they're doing it... I can't eat another bite.”

04/04/2012 page 42
4.0% "I've been drifting among my books the last few days. I've read the first chapter of several different things. GWTW is the one that invited me back for another chapter."
04/04/2012 page 78
8.0% "Oh dear, I believe I've fallen hard and fast for this book, much like Ree Drummond fell for her Marlboro Man."
04/05/2012 page 99
10.0% "I keep thinking about this book. Lately I've been hungry for epic fiction like this; perhaps I should leave all the other stuff alone and only read all the big chunksters on my list. I'm only in chapter 5, but its already a favorite. Bold I know, but I'm ready to say this is competing for top-ten status already."
04/05/2012 page 149
16.0% "Oh, that despicable Scarlett. She's so easy to dislike, but there's still something very familiar about her. I love her, and I hate her."
04/11/2012 page 402
42.0% "Of a sudden, the oft-told family tales to which she had listened since babyhood, listened half-bored, impatient and but partly comprehending, were crystal clear. Gerald, penniless, had raised Tara; Ellen had risen above some mysterious sorrow; Grandfather Robillard, surviving the wreck of Napoleon's throne, had founded his fortunes anew on the fertile Georgia coast;"
04/11/2012 page 402
42.0% "Great-Grandfather Prudhomme had carved a small kingdom out of the dark jungles of Haiti, lost it, and lived to see his name honored in Savannah. There were the Scarletts who had fought with the Irish Volunteers for a free Ireland and been hanged for their pains and the O'Haras who died at the Boyne, battling to the end for what was theirs."
04/11/2012 page 402
42.0% "All had suffered crushing misfortunes and had not been crushed. They had not been broken by the crash of empires, the machetes of revolting slaves, war, rebellion, proscription, confiscation. Malign fate had broken their necks, perhaps, but never their hearts. They had not whines, they had fought. And when they died, they died spent but unquenched."
04/11/2012 page 402
42.0% "All of those shadowy folks whose blood flowed in her veins seemed to move quietly in the moonlit room. And Scarlett was not surprised to see them, these kinsmen who had taken the worst that fate could send and hammered it into the best. Tara was her fate, her fight, and she must conquer it."
show 12 hidden updates…

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Here is a link to the airing on PBS Janie. I thought it was airing but I think it has already. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmaste...

Janie Thanks!