Kyle's Reviews > So Much Pretty

So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman

Feb 21, 12

Read from February 19 to 21, 2012

I may not like postmodern art but I love postmodern literature. Give me multiple perspectives, jumping around in time, and fragments to put together and I am a happy person. This novel had all of these and then it also had the cherry on top... it really surprised me.

This book was a recommendation from John Warner, aka the Biblioracle, based on the following five books I had previously read and enjoyed: number9dream by David Mitchell, Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard, and The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley. And after reading So Much Pretty I can see how each perfect a recommendation for me this was. The multiple perspectives of Mitchell, Murray, and Flynn are there, as well the horrific elements present in Dark Places. A missing girl drives the story, much like Pittard's novel, and ethics are at the center just like Mosley's.

I don't want to give too much away, because slowly figuring out exactly what was going on is one of the pleasures of reading this novel. In fact, for me, this book was muddling along in 3 star territory until all of a sudden the pieces came together and I was blown away. The multiple perspectives and style might feel a bit slow in the beginning, but stick with it. The payoff is worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much Pretty.