Lisa's Reviews > Green Lantern: Rebirth

Feb 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 19 to 24, 2012

(originally reviewed on starmetal oak book blog)

Green Lantern: Rebirth is the story of how Hal Jordan, apparently the best-ever Lantern, is redeemed from destroying the Corps and doing some other really Nasty things. Really, I still don’t really get what happened to Hal in the past – all I know is that he’s got some Spirit of Vengence inside him doing weird and vengeance-y things while also being tormented by Parallax. Some of these scenes bring internal torment to a whole new level.

One reason why I wanted to read Rebirth as my first Green Lantern comic was that it is a rebirth and therefore would be a good time to jump into the mythos. From that perspective, it was a good choice. We get a lot of the back story of the Lanterns: Hal, Kyle, John and Guy. We also get a lot of Lantern mythology about how their green power works and how the Corps came to be. Like I said, I came into this with only what I gleaned from the movie, but it seems like the writer probably retconned a lot of the history. It doesn’t make a difference to me, but maybe longtime fans may feel differently.

What I struggled with most was what was actually happening in the present. It was rough trying to orient myself to what was going on with Hal. The artwork is pretty great and fit the mood and story perfectly, but sometimes it didn’t make it easier to understand what was going on from a mystical level with the Spirit and Parallax.

In the end, I enjoyed the Lantern story and am even more convinced that Green Lantern is the DC hero for me. One thing that solidified this is how Batman acted like a big jerk the whole book and in the end, I preferred the Lanterns’ 'lighter' style. The other JLA members make appearances which is fun. I do wish there were more women in this miniseries and I’m thinking that it might be common for there to be practically none in the Green Lantern books (other than the love interests). I’m willing to find out, though. To people who have no experience with Green Lantern, this is a rough start, but could be worth it in the end for the mythology and the reinstatement of Hal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.

02/19/2012 page 60