Rachel Brand's Reviews > The Family Tree

The Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

Jul 23, 2008

bookshelves: racism-slavery, 2009, barbara-delinsky, own, favourites, contemporary, womens-fiction
Read in March, 2009

Loved this! Fantastic, captivating story involving real life situations and real people. There have been cases of children being born with genes thrown back several generations - even recently, a set of twins! - which was what drew me to read this book. I felt that the characters were portrayed very realistically and identified with Dana's emotions surrounding the accusations she received after giving birth. After all, how would you feel if you husband suddenly questioned the paternity of your child the day after you gave birth? At some points it annoyed me that she was blanking him but I did understand how terrible she must have felt. And as for Hugh's family - I can't say that I identified with them and I was shocked at their attitude towards having a mixed race family, but I am aware that there are people like this, even in the 21st century where we claim to be politically correct and to embrace multi-ethnic communities. I share a Business Management class with a regular, working-class girl who has said that we should send all the "black people" back to "their" countries. I don't believe - like other reviewers - that Hugh's entire family was a massive stereotype. People do still behave like this today. We need to wake up and notice the prejudice sitting right on our doorsteps. And sure, 'The Family Tree' represents a very upper-class view of prejudice, but if you compare their comments to those made in a working-class village in central Scotland, they were pretty polite!
All in all, I enjoyed this book and didn't want to put it down. It's well written with interesting subplots, and reminded me of Jodi Picoult's work - except I'd say that this is a lot easier to read and not quite as complex. An excellent book about modern-day prejudice. 10/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Tree.