Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > The Cloak of Dreams: Chinese Fairy Tales

The Cloak of Dreams by Bela Balazs

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: fairy-tales-myths-legends
Read from February 22 to March 02, 2012

I thought that this would be a book like Some Chinese Ghosts: translations of Chinese stories. But this is actually original stories with a somewhat Chinese flavor. The story about parasols with pictures of different skies painted on the underside was excellent. And there was one gory and creepy ghost-type story. The story of the flea who has to reunite his past-life mortal parents made me think of Back to the Future. (Though the ending was rather vulgar.)

There is some good imagery here, and it seems like a good translation. But some of the others were boring, or blurred into sameness with the other stories.

Skip the introduction. I'll summarize it for you: Balazs was a socialist Hungarian Hemingway. There, I just saved you over 40 pages of tedious reading. The stories themselves are quick, light reads.

The illustrator, Mariette Lydis, did some nice work in other contexts, but the illustrations here are mostly creepy.

Start date is approximate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cloak of Dreams.