Julie Davis's Reviews > The Odyssey

The Odyssey by Homer

Aug 10, 12

Read from February 18 to August 09, 2012

I saw that Scott and Jesse (and others) will be discussing the Odyssey on SFFaudio sometime soon, a few books at a time. This piqued my interest and I began listening to the LibriVox free version. I have read the Odyssey before, though I would be hard pressed to remember when, and, of course, it is ubiquitous in our culture as a story reference. However, I admit that I was surprised that it is so enjoyable thus far.

I've also been really enjoying the SFFaudio discussions, one of which I participated in.

In anticipation of Jesse and Scott's last podcast on this book, I finished up. What a great epic ending, albeit full of blood, gore, and vengeance. But that is probably exactly what the Greeks wanted from their adventures. It is in the grand spirit of Hollywood adventure stories so we haven't changed that much, have we? :-D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odyssey.

02/28/2012 page 30
18.0% "I have read 1-4 of the 24 books. I could swear that I've read The Odyssey before but I have absolutely no recollection of such an elaborate introduction, with so many of Odysseus' comrades telling Telemachus how they managed to return home, while passing on info of Odysseus. I enjoyed it quite a bit."
03/02/2012 page 45
27.0% "We at last get to Odysseus who sits on the shores of Circe's island, weeping to go home to his dear Penelope. Jove sends Mercury to scare Circe into giving him up and Odysseus soon finds himself on another island shore with considerably less clothing, food, and company. What next we wonder?"
03/05/2012 page 56
33.0% "8 books into the Odyssey and the local talent is bent on impressing Odysseus (who is still anonymous) with their athletic skills and (wait for it) dancing. During the process they have their blind poet (Homer, is that you?) tell the many wonderful exploits of that daring warrior Odysseus (!) only to have to stop when they hear him manfully holding back tears ... for what reason, they know not."
03/17/2012 page 70
42.0% "You know, I actually feel sorry for the Cyclops ... and Odysseus is altogether too pleased with himself. A comeuppance will be welcome, if there wasn't that pesky curse about all his men dying to think of. How is it that everyone pays except him for his misdeeds?"
03/23/2012 page 90
54.0% "Page count is guesswork - just finished chapter 12 - been to hell and back, between the devil and the deep blue sea, and eaten the forbidden fruit (so to speak). Caught up to current time and ready to sally forth, always keeping a wary eye out for what Penelope's been doing while he's gone, thanks to the many warnings from those in hell who didn't have those suspicions (one was particularly bitter, for good reason)" 1 comment
05/05/2012 page 90
54.0% "Picked this up again to read chapters 13-16 in preparation for SFFaudio discussing them in June ... so I'll know what they're talking about!"
show 2 hidden updates…