Ryan Chapman's Reviews > Everything Is Cinema: The Working Life of Jean-Luc Godard

Everything Is Cinema by Richard Brody

Aug 18, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, biography
Read in August, 2009

Brody doesn't pretend to get inside Godard's head, or write a biography in the polymathic nature of his subject's approach to cinema. Instead, he writes straightforward accounts of the director's career, steeped in research and relevant political and cinematic contexts. This may sound boring; it's revelatory. Godard was such a mercurial and self-doubting intellectual that one doesn't need bells and whistles to make his story compelling.

What Brody doesn't discuss, but feels like a natural addendum, is how much Godard's approach to cinema would find purchase in online media. He was always looking at how to deconstruct and reconstruct the formal tools of cinema, in particular the superimposition of image and the layering of stereophonic sound. Can you imagine what he would come up with if he learned Flash?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Is Cinema.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Oh, crap. I really want to read this. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

Ryan Chapman So far it's pretty good. Brody comes from the New Yorker, so you know the prose and the research is top-notch. I'm about 100 pages in. Did you know that Godard stole and pawned books from his grandfather's library in order to finance his life in Paris, pre-Breathless?

message 3: by David (new)

David Ha ha, I wish I could get away with that.