Jessie's Reviews > Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office by Lois P. Frankel

F 50x66
Jun 16, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: career
Read in June, 2009

This book takes on the mistakes women make in the office from being socialized as girls. I found it extremely helpful, as a lot of the mistakes Frankel says we make are things i do a lot:). Frankel takes on the way we tilt our head and smile when delivering a serious message to the way we sit (sitting on your foot, or with your hands in your lap instead of on the table), to the way we put others needs before our own. These things can make us seem less "powerful" or capable, especially when compared to a male coworker.

I wouldn't have thought Frankel's message was particularly novel or important except that now that I have a real job, I notice these things constantly. Men are socialized to be more vocal, more powerful, while women are socialized to be more nurturing. To this statement I say ("well, duh") but I never realized how much of this is visible through the way we act in the workplace. As a psychologist and business coach, Frankel gives very good suggestions to overcome these things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office.