Erika (YA or GTFO)'s Reviews > Forests of the Heart

Forests of the Heart by Charles de Lint

Mar 30, 07

bookshelves: thefantastic
Read in March, 2007

I am a fan of Charles de Lint's short fiction, and in my opinion that is what he should stick to. He is clearly more adept at that form and length than he is at stretching a story to be novel-length. He skimped too much on details that I felt needed more clarification and breadth while overly emphasizing and rehashing other elements that I understood the first time around. The relationships between the characters and some of the characters themselves weren't terribly believable and seemed contrived (Donal's morose eeyore nature/act in particular REALLY annoyed me.) Another issue was the way in which he approached Bettina's bilingual dialog. I don't know any bilingual Spanish/English speakers that say something in Spanish and then immediately repeat it in English for all their gringo friends, and as someone who speaks Spanish it felt like I was reading the same phrase or sentence two times in a row. Then there were Donal and Miki constantly saying "Jaysus," because clearly if you're Irish you say that every other word.

Regardless, the story was entertaining enough and I especially enjoyed the segments dealing with Bettina, even though Bettina repeating everything in English was annoying. I would definitely recommend one of his collections of short stories over this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forests of the Heart.