Melki's Reviews > The Moon is Down

The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: fiction, war, classic-fiction
Read from February 19 to 21, 2012

By 10:45 it was all over. The town was occupied, the defenders defeated, and the war was finished.

Not quite. In Steinbeck's 1942 story of a small unnamed town invaded by an unnamed enemy, the war was far from finished.

The book begins with an almost farcical tone - the mayor needs to have his ear hairs trimmed before his meeting with the conquering colonel, the ratfink mole who's been informing on the townsfolk seems surprised that he should not continue to live amongst them, and one of the soldiers is bitten by the mayor's feisty cook. Because of the ease the invading army had in taking the town, the officers assume that the local citizens will fall into line and accept them as their new rulers. The mayor predicts that things will not be that easy. "The people are confused now. They have lived at peace so long that they do not quite believe in war. They will learn and then they will not be confused anymore."

Things turn ugly after an incident at the local mine, and the mayor's prediction comes true as the oppressed people begin to exact their revenge.

Steinbeck presents a unique look at life during wartime, and humankind's desire to be free.

27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon is Down.

message 1: by Lea (new) - added it

Lea Only you could even make me THINK about trying Steinbeck again...

message 2: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King I confess Melki that I have never read any of Steinbeck's works. I'm a philistine!

message 3: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Carlson Lea wrote: "Only you could even make me THINK about trying Steinbeck again..."

I agree, however I did enjoy "The Grapes of Wrath". Normaly I wouldn't think about picking up the classics. Hmmm.. I think I'll make some tea.(Earl Grey)

Melki Rodney wrote: "I agree, however I did enjoy "The Grapes of Wrath". Normaly I wouldn't think about picking up the classics. Hmmm.. I ..."

Lynne wrote: "I confess Melki that I have never read any of Steinbeck's works. I'm a philistine!"

My own classics shelf is embarrassingly lacking. It's something I need to work on, but I don't think I've read ANY this year.

Bettie☯ An important read, this.