Will Dean's Reviews > Open City

Open City by Teju Cole

M_50x66
Feb 19, 12

Read in March, 2011

I haven't read much good contemporary writing lately, or I suppose I should change that to contemporary literary fiction, but this book really stands out as an excellent novel from recent years. I am partial to walking, both IRL (if I can use that term here) and in fiction so the fact that the majority of the novels 'happens' as the narrator wanders about New York. Open City creates a realistic and rich interior life as he picks apart elements of his life and the world around him on his epic jaunts. It's not worth going into detail about the topics because the style is mesmerizing in the way that W.G. Sebald's is, though not identical in form just in the effect they have on the reader (and the book has already had too many people saying the same thing about it).

The real key to the book, though, is actually plot-based, which is remarkable because the book has almost no plot. When it happens, and I wont say what it is, it's such a shock - especially jarring because of the aimless and intellectual form of the book prior - it changes everything.

A really fine book and highly recommended. I will not say anymore, except that you should read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open City.