Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Expected Release Date: July 31, 2012
Publisher: Penguin Group
Imprint: Ace
Author’s Website: http://www.ilona-andrews.com
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com (Private Purchase)
Part of a Series: Yes, Spinoff Kate Daniels Series
Series Best Read In Order: YES
Steam Level: Warm

One thing is for certain, this was a great addition to one of my all-time favorite Urban Fantasy series. Though technically a spinoff, I would in no way recommend that newcomers to the series pick this one up as their first introduction to the Kate Daniels world. While I’m sure that there is more than enough background and worldbuilding included to help those unfamiliar with the series easily follow along, so much would be missed. At a bare minimum, I would recommend that new readers pick up MAGIC MOURNS – the novella telling how Raphael and Andrea first got together (available only as an ebook for the standalone, but available in print in the MUST LOVE HELLHOUNDS anthology).

I really enjoyed watching Andrea get the spotlight for once. Don’t get me wrong — I adore Kate — but at the same time it was really nice to watch Andrea not only hold her own as a warrior, but to take her place in the Bouda pack.

Recommended for fans of outcast heroines with tortured pasts, estranged lovers, and exciting urban fantasy.

A very solid 4/5 Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.