Donna's Reviews > Supernaturally

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Jun 15, 14

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, young-adult, best-bitten
Read from May 26 to 30, 2014

I think Laura at A Jane of All Reads sent me her ARC of SUPERNATURALLY a while ago but the book, like all my other books, has been sitting on my shelf for quite some time, patiently waiting to be read. Granted I think if my books were sentient they would have protested the wait and marched on my living room or something. The evils of the vacuum would have nothing on stomping books as far as my dog would be concerned. But I finally got down to reading it and it was just as lovely and quirky as I remember PARANORMALCY being.

There was much more of a focus on being NORMAL here than before because that’s all Evie wants in life right now. Until she gets sucked back in to her supernatural world and shenanigans ensue. I say focus but what I really mean is insistence and then just delusional denial of the obvious. Evie could never be normal if she tried. Still, she’s a rather endearing character and I can’t help but love her, faults and all.

Her omission of truth in certain situations was getting rather annoying but at least she was honest to herself about her entirely selfish motivations for doing so. She didn’t throw any punches about that. She wanted her boyfriend to stay hers and not turn into some unreachable immortal like his mom and they end up with a similar relationship to his parents. She didn’t want to deal with his nagging that Raquel had dragged her back into a dangerous world that really wasn’t too great for her. Granted omitting the truth and keeping secrets from the person you supposedly love is really not the best foundation in which to grow a healthy relationship but I understand why she did it, although I don’t necessarily agree with it.

It was a quick read, and one of the reasons why I read it when I did. Because I knew I’d just blow through it. It’s just so easy and effortless to get through and I really enjoy the action and the angst White includes. It’s a gentle balance that makes some of the situations centering around being a normal teenager more palatable (sometimes authors like to get REALLY into these moments and then my eyes glaze over). I also liked how Jack was never a contender for a relationship with Evie, despite what her boyfriend thought. She was always very clear with herself about her pseudo-relationship with Jack and there was never any hemming and hawing with does she or doesn’t she? Not an option. It was always about her boyfriend and that’s how it stayed. Hooray for no love triangles!

Not a lot really happened in SUPERNATURALLY but what did happen was still enjoyable to read. I mean the opening of the book is Evie getting kidnapped by some cloud fairy thing. She gets stink eye from all manner of fey throughout the book, gets stalked by a deranged vampire, encounters some trolls and has to deal with a friend that’s a little too ditzy and upbeat for personality. It’s exhausting and exciting and what’s even better is the book is what it is and doesn’t try to be anything else. I like quirk in my books but I’ve found lately that they tend toward the extreme and it only ends up sounding forced. Not here. It’s normal and quirky and snarky and, most importantly, BELIEVABLE. I didn’t feel like I was getting slapped with quirk.

These books are a fun read and they’re unique against what’s already out there. There’s an effortlessness to Evie’s situation, toggling between Raquel’s world and this normal one she so desperately wants to be a part of. As someone that’s no longer a young adult I felt it like the overwhelming pettiness of high school drama that some YA comes with was nonexistent and it presents itself with a character that’s adult beyond her years without being over the top. The balance, I love it. I’m looking forward to reading the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supernaturally.

05/26/2014 marked as: currently-reading