Joyce Yarrow's Reviews > Desperate Remedies

Desperate Remedies by Thomas Hardy

Jun 06, 14

It's not surprising that Thomas Hardy's books have a reputation for being depressing. He does put his characters through intense trials and tribulations. Which was why, as a new reader of his work, I opened Desperate Remedies with some trepidation. To my delight, I found Hardy's portrayal of Cytherea Graye to be packed with realism, empathy and psychological insight--although a bit melodramatic at times. This was his first published novel - definitely a good place for a first-time reader to start.

I especially enjoyed the way Hardy uses dialog to reveal character and add a some suspense, as demonstrated in the following excerpt:

"No wedden this mornen--that's my opinion. In fact, there can't be," he said abruptly, as if the words were the mere torso of a many-membered thought that had existed complete in his head.

Cytherea, who has been forced by poverty to work as a lady's maid, is a sympathetic but by no means perfect character-- her indecisiveness and tendency to jump to the wrong conclusions at crucial junctures in her life made me like her all the more. It is not easy for a first-time novelist to write from the point of view of the opposite sex, so it's "hat's off" to Thomas Hardy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperate Remedies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (new)

MJ The last time I read one of his books was in high school. Perhaps I give give him a second chance.

Joyce Yarrow MJ wrote: "The last time I read one of his books was in high school. Perhaps I give give him a second chance."

Let us know if you do, MJ - In my view, he was an extraordinarily modern writer in his commitment to emotional realism.