Rachel's Reviews > Silent in the Sanctuary

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn

Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery, series, 1800s, england, gothic, heroine, library, read-2010, scotland, victorian, suspense, female-author, female-author-heroine, mira
Read from April 08 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This was another book that read quickly and that, once into the meat of the story, I did not want to put down for anything. Both this and the first in the Lady Julia series by Deanna Raybourn have been, simply put, eminently readable. I think I may have liked this one even more than the first book, Silent in the Grave.

Although the murder doesn't occur until almost half of the way through the book, the intrigue begins almost as soon as the house party gathers at Belmont Abbey, and until Lady Julia and Brisbane figure out the answers, they don't know which mysteries are connected to one another. And even though the murder is late in the book, it still seemed like the investigation began earlier than it did in the first book.

In addition to Lady Julia Grey and Nicholas Brisbane, we saw more of Lady Julia's father, Lord March, and her sister, Portia. We also heard more from the frank prostitute-turned-maid Morag and Aquinas, Julia's excellent butler, and even the Roma Magda. Other family members and friends were out of the picture, but there were some additions to the world of Lady Julia: two more of her brothers, Plum and Lysander, who were previously mentioned but not seen, as well as some other odd relatives. Another welcome addition was the March family home, Belmont Abbey, with its secret passages and interesting rooms and family traditions.

Even Lady Julia didn't annoy me nearly as much as she had before. She may not have been much less stupid than previously, but she certainly stopped pointing it out, which had bothered me. She did annoy me with her constant making of "mental notes", but, as before, it's worth any small annoyance, because I enjoyed the story so much.

Some twists and surprises the reader may be able to see coming long before the characters do, but again, this didn't at all spoil my enjoyment of the story. I can't wait to read the third volume in the series, and I wish there were more of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Sanctuary.

04/08/2010 page 0
04/13/2010 page 50
9.06% "I've barely had any time to read the last few days, only a couple of ten-minute bus rides. So actually it's going really quickly."
04/15/2010 page 333
60.33% "Once again, (now that I have a chance to read) I can't put it down. Even for Fringe."
04/16/2010 page 498
90.22% "I want the next one 15 minutes ago. Curse you, SFPL! I mean, thank you, SFPL...but curse you too."