Matthew's Reviews > 48 Days to the Work You Love

48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller

Feb 19, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

An interesting book. You have to be in the right mood to use it.

The title of the book says "48 Days," but there are no specific tasks that are meant to be done each day. Rather, 48 days is a general timeframe during which the author expects you to make meaningful progress.

Each chapter starts with inspirational quotes, and I'll probably remember some of the quotes long after I forget what it is in the book. (Is that a good thing? Probably not.) In any case, it is good to read a book written from the perspective that work is meant to be enjoyable -- not that it will be easy, but that it will feel rewarding to put in the effort needed to do a good job.

Those considering reading this book might also be interested in Flow or Just Work. The former is not about employment per se, but it is about how to find meaning and engagement in the tasks of everyday life. The latter is also not a job-hunting manual, but it explores in depth the contradiction between the material necessity of work and our own expectations that work provide a benefit to us other than just a paycheck.

This book is written for a Christian audience, and the author quotes from time to time from the New Testament. This could be a good or a bad thing, depending on your perspective.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 48 Days to the Work You Love.

Danielle W The specific 48 day tasks are listed at the beginning - in the section headed "your 48 day schedule"