Barb's Reviews > A Sound of Thunder and Other Stories

A Sound of Thunder and Other Stories by Ray Bradbury

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: favorite-authors, fiction
Read in February, 2012

I borrowed this book from my nephew who believes that Ray Bradbury is a poet hiding in the world of fantasy and science fiction. I absolutely agree with his assessment. Having read Ray Bradbury's stories since the 1970's, I was familiar with most of the stories in this collection. It was wonderful to fall back into these worlds. Many people today prefer stories that get right to the point, the action, so that they can move onto the next piece of fiction. If you decide to pick up this collection, set aside more than the time it might take you to read the story. Sip a beer, some tea, gaze at the world around you. I guarantee you will see Marianne ("The Great Fire"), Forester ("Here There Be Tygers"), Doug and his mother ("The Rocket Man"), and Colonel Freeleigh ("The Time Machine") -- you just never saw them before. And, given time for reflection, Mr. Bradbury holds a mirror up to the best of us -- Sim ("Frost and Fire"), the garbage man ("The Garbage Man"), Bob ("The Strawberry Window"), and Ricardo ("Sun and Shadow"). These are just a few of the 32 stories in this collection that, if you let them breath in your mind, will broaden your view of humanity, science, and the universe.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sound of Thunder and Other Stories.