R's Reviews > Faerie Wars

Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan

7052050
Feb 24, 12

Recommended to R by: a friend
Read from February 19 to 24, 2012

Where to begin...
Ah! I have a question! IS THIS REALLY SUPPOSED TO BE A YOUNG ADULT STORY? It was more like something I would have read when I was 10. This book is classified as YA and the reviews hype it as, "The next Harry Potter!" I had high hopes for this book and they fell short; oh so short. I will not say it was poorly written grammatically or structurally. I would give it somewhere between a 3 and a 4 out of 5 in that respect. However, the story-line is a 2 out of 5 without a doubt—in some parts it was a 1 out of 5.
Lets talk about the storyline. I tried telling my parents about it and almost couldn't because I was laughing so hard. Why? Because there are things like "stun grenades" and "rocket launchers" and "evil conjuring books that have helpful indexes" in this story. Also royal titles like, "The Purple Emperor." This is why I'm always suspicious about faery stories. They are so easy to ruin because faeries walk that fine line between fascinating/ethereal/magical and childish/ridiculous/unbelievable. Brennan crossed that line and ruined this faery story for me. I think, for me, what was the straw that broke the camel's back is the fact Brennan TRIED to add "scary" and "adult" issues into a child's world. An evil conjuring book that was *ew* made out of baby skin and glue made out of kittens? Plot lines like that don't add intrigue to the story but take away from it. I would not recommend it to "Young adults"...do yourself a favor and read Redwall.

Totally Relevant Song Accompaniment: Oompa Loompa Song

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faerie Wars.

02/19/2012 page 19
5.0% "His just found out his mom is a lesbian and now...he is seeing faeries. Ok..."
02/20/2012 page 19
5.0% "Kittens are used to make glue...demon conjuring...blasting wands...HUH?! WHAT IS THIS BOOK DOING?!"
02/21/2012 page 117
32.0% "I feel like this is a weird half YA half childrens book...I mean I like it but its fluff"
02/22/2012 page 189
51.0% "I honestly don't know what to think of this book...I can't take it seriously. Though, to be honest I don't think I'm supposed to but...ridiculous story"
02/23/2012 page 240
65.0% "You have got to be kidding me...THIS BOOK HAS A SEQUEL?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
02/23/2012 page 240
65.0% "oh frak...not just a sequel! sequelS! as in 5 sequels. I can't..."
02/24/2012 page 307
83.0% "L.O.L—that is my opinion of the book. Its not terrible, I would love it—if I was about 8"
show 1 hidden update…