Ashley's Reviews > Loveless, Volume 8

Sep 16, 08

bookshelves: manga, manga-shoujo, yaoi-bl
Read in September, 2008

Synopsis from Tokyopop.com:

Seimei is back with a vengeance, and it's Beloved vs. Beloved as Nisei and Soubi match up for the battle of a lifetime! Soubi's past with Ritsu-sensei is finally revealed, and Ritsuka will have to decide once and for all what his true feelings about his mysterious (and malevolent?) older brother are, not to mention where his loyalties lie!

When a Loveless volume is going to come out, I usually do a complete reread of the volumes before it because the plot is pretty heavy (and confusing, at least to me), and there's a lot of down time in between volumes releases. This time, I didn't do the reread, but I don't think my understanding of this newest volume suffered all that much, because it's mostly a conclusion of the Seimei conflict from the previous volume, which, of course, is just the tip of the iceberg in the context of the series itself. Compared to past volumes, I felt this one was quite short, and there are three little stories in it that don't really pertain to the conflict currently going on. The result was that I felt that there wasn't much "new" stuff in the volume, but the stuff that was there was really heavy.

I think this is one of those volumes that touches on so many of the themes of Loveless. Adult vs. child. What it means to love someone. Control and power play. Role reversal. The power of words, which can hurt both physically and emotionally, in the Loveless universe. Because there are so many important themes in this volume, I feel that it was good, but it might have been better if the volume was much longer, or if these chapters had been tacked on to the previous volume. This volume didn't lack for strength, but it still left me a bit unsatisfied.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loveless, Volume 8.