Julie's Reviews > Promising Light

Promising Light by Emily Ann Ward

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, fantasy, mystery, romance, favorites, first-in-a-series
Read from March 26 to 30, 2012

I won Promising Light (The Protectors, #1) through the Goodreads First Read Giveaway on 02/20/2012 and received it on 03/26/2012!!

This review may or may not contain spoilers ... so you've been warned!

I just want to start off by saying that my usual genre isn't fantasy. It's no where near fantasy. Ever. I usually like murder mysteries or history based fiction ... that kind of thing. So this is WAY out of my comfort zone. Here's the big but .... BUT the premise of this book seemed so interesting that I couldn't NOT read it even though it was about these weird people who shifted and all sorts of other things that I'm usually not interested in. My deal is, if I can't believe it, then I don't want to read it. I need to be able to really get into a book ... be able to see in my mind what the author is describing and imagine it really taking place.

So. I don't know what I was expecting. Like I said, I was really interested in the premise of the book and wondered what it might entail. After I won the book, I had some 'winners remorse' for a couple of days, wondering if I had just stolen this book from someone who might really love it.

Emily Ann Ward really shocked me. I'm so completely glad that I didn't back out of getting this book. It. Was. Amazing!! I was totally pulled into this world that Ward had created, within the first chapter. I'm not going to lie, I was a little confused at first. I had no idea what in the world was going on, some of the names were weird as all get out and it felt like I was stepping into a situation and trying to catch up. Since I've finished the book, I think that how Ward wrote it makes complete sense now. If she didn't do it intentionally, then it was a wonderful mistake starting the book off like that because it pushed me to read it that much faster so I could find out what in the world was going on.

The characters were really well written - Ward introduced you to them slowly ... giving you little morsels of their background and character as you went and it was almost intoxicating. She has a way of writing that just pulls you back for more and makes your head spin. Just as you think you know what is going to happen next, she pulls the rug out from under you and points you in a different direction.

I haven't read a book that I loved this much in a very long time. There is only one thing that really ticked me off ... the book ended. MAN. How frustrating is that?!? You get immersed in a world that an author has created for you, they resolve most of the issues and then leaves you hanging for the next book. UGH! Well, I'll be awaiting (impatiently, I might add) for the next book in the series. But until then, I'll probably reread this a few more times because I'm sure in my rush to find out what was going to happen next, I missed some things. Such a great book. A nice vacation from reality for a couple of days. Man, those 400-some pages flew by.

Awesome book that I recommend to ... everyone!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promising Light.

03/27/2012 page 41