Mimi Valentine's Reviews > The Vicious Deep

Feb 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, to-review-priority

Rating: 3.5 stars

This book is hilarious! Tristan is a riot of a character, and getting a glimpse into his honest male mind had me laughing so much! Seriously, the things he thinks sometimes... :')

Review to come!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vicious Deep.

Kaylee Magic Sexy mermen, Mimi? (;

Mimi Valentine Heck yes! LOL I don't think there's even such a thing as a non-hot merman :')

Kaylee Magic So you think! But then you read a book where the mermaids are all flesh-eating crazy men who pray on innocent girls that swim in he ocean at night and have claws and tails and scaly Loch Ness Monster faces! :P

Mimi Valentine Kay, I think I just died of laughter!! x) Where do you even come up with this awesome-tastic stuff?

Kaylee Magic It may or may not be my next book idea. You'll never know :P

Mimi Valentine Well, you could write a book about murderous faeries and I would still read it! Remember to send me a copy of your manuscript as soon as you're done, Kay!! :) <3

Kaylee Magic Of couuuuuuurse, Mimi! You'll be the first (: although it's more of an if than a when right now because I haven't been writing as much in the past few months LOL

message 8: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah I'm guessing its going good so far? ;) I tend to stay away from the mermaids/men as I've found them all disappointing so far. :(

Mimi Valentine @Kaylee: Oh no, you've been going through a no-time-to-write-oh-my-gosh-how-am-I-going-to-finish-this-book slump too? Those things are terrible! I'm hoping on being able to have more time to write when school lets out, but I don't know what's going to happen.

@A: It actually is! I didn't think I'd be enjoying it that much, but Tristan is a hilarious protagonist and the story's holding my interest :) Mer books are usually hits or misses for me too, but one that I kinda loved was Of Poseidon by Anna Banks if you want a recommendation! <3

Kaylee Magic I don't know what we'd do without summer vacation -- it's a real lifesaver! (x We should challenge ourselves to finish our books by next September to have something to work towards, Mi! (:

message 11: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah That's good! 'Hilarious' stands out. ;) Ooh, I haven't read that one. Thanks, Mimi. :)

message 12: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine @Kaylee: Challenge accepted!! (Barney Stinson style!) That's such a great idea, Kay -- now I'm going to be stuck on my laptop more than usual LOL... Maybe I'll grab the extension cord and sit outside :')

@A: I love hilarious books too, and this one totally has that hilarity factor! (Tristan is guy-ness in all his honest glory LOL.) I hope you like Of Poseidon if you decide to read it -- it's a really fun book too! :)

message 13: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Hehe. I haven't read that many books from a male POV, so it's always great when that book still appeals or stands out. ;) Thanks, Mimi! Hopefully I'll get to read loads in the summer, and I'll try and make Of Poseidon one of the book I read. Fun's exactly what you need in summer, right? ;)

message 14: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine Fun + summer = always awesome! I have so many books to read this summer than I'm almost positive I won't be bored -- I'm so excited for it! :) And the male POV is actually really well-done in this -- Tristan sounded like a true guy to me! ;)

message 15: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah I know, I love the summer holidays because I can just readandreadandread. ;D Though I always start to get bored around the last week or two lol despite hating all the work we have during the school year. Ooh, that's great - although I'm wondering what your definition of a true guy is lol. :P But it makes the story more believable. :) Well, as believable as it can be when it's about mermaids. ;)

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine LOL that's so true!! When you're in school, you want to get out of school... but when you're out of school for a long time, you usually want to go back to school! :')

And straight from Mimi's Ridiculous Dictionary (full of very many bookish definitions): true guy = a guy who isn't afraid to be a guy, who makes many guy mistakes, and who has no shame in having not-so-tame guy-ish thoughts even though many girls will probably be reading his mind x) <3

message 17: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Hehe, omg you can publish your dictionary right along with that book you're writing! ;) Sweet definition; I like it. ;)

message 18: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (Daily Prophecy) Glimpse into the honest male mind? YES PLEASE :D I sometimes get a look (I've more male friends :p) and duuuudes can be so funny and crazy at the same time :')

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine @A: Haha thanks, A! I'm pretty sure I would have the weirdest words defined in my dictionary EVER -- like onomatopoeia or hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! No one would want to read that monstrosity of a book x)

@Mel: You're more of a guy's girl too? Same here! x) LOL I just think they're so fun to be around and there's always less drama with them! They fight more physically, but it's only for show and never anything big, right? ;)

message 20: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Weird is cool! :D My philosophy is that everyone is weird, at least to some extent. ;) Um...what's hippomon...yeah, I'm not gonna type all that out. :P But what is it a fear of?

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine I AGREE COMPLETELY. I'm definitely a weird girl, through and through ;) <3 Hehe and hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is actually a fear of long words LOL! x) Isn't that awesome?

message 22: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Hehe. :D Me too, or at least that's what my friends tell me. ;) Ooh, really? So awesome. :D <3 It sounds like a made-up word but it's actually real! How did you find that one? I know what the longest word in the English dictionary is. :P Or at least what it was six or seven years ago lol.

message 23: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine Haha don't ask! x) (I don't even remember, but I have a feeling it had something to do with my friend and his science presentation?) ANYWAYS, that's so cool, A!! I'd ask you to type out the longest word in the English dictionary, but I have a feeling it's too long too put on Goodreads LOL -- the Goodreads moderators would probably raise alarm! x)

message 24: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Lol. He used it in his presentation? It's hardly a word that comes up in casual conversation. Except perhaps with geniuses. ;) Actually, now I come to think about it, it can't be the longest word because yours is longer. It was disestablishmentarianism. :P Haha, anything longer than yours and they probably will! ;)

message 25: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine I wish I was a genius, but alas, my brain only knows as much as your average reading teenager :') And I actually know that word! *beams* I just googled the longest word in English and apparently it's 189819 characters long... LOL!

message 26: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Awww. Well, a reading teenager can know lots! :) Ooh, really? Genius! ;D Omg, it's how long?? How is that possible?

message 27: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine Thanks, A! Haha I guess we're all geniuses in our own way :')

I think that some guy fell asleep on the keyboard while he was writing the dictionary and woke up later, was too lazy to delete it all, and said, "I think I'll make this a word! Cool, there's no chemical name for titin? All right!" Or something LOL x)

message 28: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Yeah, exactly. :)

Lool. Do you know what it means? Haha, that would be kinda cool if he actually did that. Sometimes I wonder about the origin of words. That would be an interesting answer as to where some of these come from. ;)

message 29: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine I always wonder the same thing! It's so cool wondering how everything came to named what they are -- I couldn't imagine being one of the first people inventing the English language because I'd be confused all the time! :P

message 30: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Exactly! It's confusing just thinking about it in your head, going back in time, trying to imagine how everything came to be named. :P

message 31: by Mimi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mimi Valentine Maybe they had a vote on it? Sat around a rectangle table (since round ones hadn't been invented yet, thanks to King Arthur) and pointed to random objects, saying "Aye!" when they thought a word fit? Just a random guess LOL! x)

message 32: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Haha, it's as good as any! ;) And maybe they came up with those words by trying out random sounds, like when we try to talk gibberish? Lol. <3