Sharon's Reviews > Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn

Feb 19, 2012

bookshelves: pacific-u-mfa

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Bullshit Night in Suck City.

Hafeez Lakhani So. Amazing.

Sharon Yep, I should right this right away. I remember talking to you about it at VCCA. Plus, I want to have read it before I see the movie!

Sharon I read Flynn’s second memoir, The Ticking Is the Bomb, when it first came out. I loved that book and wrote a review of it in The Rumpus. It was a little strange to read these two books in reverse order, but a mesmerizing, amazing experience, nevertheless.

Flynn writes short, episodic chapters, skipping around in time and place. I was surprised how often he changed to his father’s point of view and described his father’s life, using fictional techniques to get in someone else’s head.

I admired the writing, the innovative style and verve. The book was also harrowing and made me relive some personal experiences, related both to my father (the sense of loss) and my son’s father (my ex-husband), who teeters on the edge of society and and (I fear) might someday ask my son, after he is grown up, to take care of him.