Joy (Cheery♡Reads)'s Reviews > Lover Enshrined

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: i-own, jr-ward
Read from March 04 to 05, 2012

Among all the first 5 endings that I've read, Lover Enshrined's was my favourite and the best. I reread it so many times that I could remember it by heart. Lover Enshrined was different from the previous books in terms of plot. The main focus wasn't on the romance but the lesser and actions going on but when the romance appeared, it was well worth it. I understood Phury so much more in this book and loved him very, very much. Phury was a very neglected and misunderstood person. The conflicts and his addiction metaphored in the form of the Wizard were beautifully flashed out.

Cormia was a wonderful heroine. She wasn't like the other females before and it was really breath taking. She has a quiet reserve and a strong countenance as well as a streak of boldness in her that I truly adored. She was the perfect thing for Phury beacue they make each other whole.

The secondary characters such as JM, Quinn, Blay, Rehv, Xhex really stood out. I really appreciated the way Ward explored homosexuality in this book because the scene between Blay and Quinn was really poignant, tender and beautiful. I can't wait to see more of Lassiter either as well as John and Xhex. They are really cute together. I wasn't really invested in Rehv at first but this book succeeded in making me excited to start on Rehv's story. It was really horrible to see how messed up he was in the inside from what he had to do. I wanted to go hug him and rescue him from his horrifying duty to the Princess.

Overall, Lover Enshrined was truly amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Enshrined.

Quotes Joy (Cheery♡Reads) Liked

J.R. Ward
“After a moment, Wrath turned to John. "This is Lassiter, the fallen angel. One of the last times he was here on earth, there was a plague in central Europe-"
"Okay, that was so not my fault-"
"-which wiped out two-thirds of the human population."
"I'd like to remind you that you don't like humans."
"They smell bad when they're dead."
"All you mortal types do.”

J.R. Ward
“It was hard to know what was worse: him being with her and all her sisters, or him being with none of them because his heart was held by another.

-Cormia”

J.R. Ward
“Look, you didn't fail me. Because you can't fail at the impossible."

-Zsadist to Phury”

J.R. Ward
“It had been so good to see his enemy again. Positively heartwarming.

Hallmark really needed to start up a line of revenge cards, the kind that let you reach out to those you were going to come after with a vengeance.

- Lash”

J.R. Ward
“And Cormia will be okay, I mean, she's not kicked out of here, correct?"
"She shall be welcomed back herein. She is a fine female. Just not...as well suited to this life as some of us are."
In the quiet heartbeats that followed, he had an image of her undressing him for the shower, her guileless, innocent green eyes looking up at him as she fumbled with his belt and his leathers.
She only wanted to do what was right. Back when this whole mess had gotten started, even though she'd been terrified, she would have done the right thing by her tradition and taken him in her. Which made her stronger than him, didn't it. She wasn't running. He was the one with the track shoes on.
"You tell the others I was not worthy of her." As the Directrix's mouth fell open, he pointed a finger at her. "That's a goddamned order. You tell them...she is too good for me. I want her elevated to a special rank.... I want her fucking enshrined, do you understand me? You do right by her or I'll bust this place into ruins.”

J.R. Ward
“You're a freak. But I really can't accept these-'
Were you raised in a barn? Don't be ruuuuuude, my boy. They're a gift.'
Blay shook his head. 'Take them, John. You're just going to lose this argument, and it will save us from the theatrics.'
Theatrics?' Qhuinn leaped up and assumed a Roman oratory pose. 'Whither thou knowest thy ass from thy elbow, young scribe?'
Blay blushed. 'Come on-'
Qhuinn threw himself at Blay, grasping onto the guy's shoulders and hanging his full weight off him. 'Hold me. Your insult has left me breathless. I'm agasp.'
Blay grunted and scrambled to keep Qhuinn up off the floor. 'That's agape.'
Agasp sounds better.'
Blay was trying not to smile, trying not to be delighted, but his eyes were sparkling like sapphires and his cheeks were getting red. With a silent laugh, John sat on one of the locker room benches, shook out his pair of white socks, and pulled them on under his new old jeans. 'You sure, Qhuinn? 'Cause I have a feeling they're going to fit and you might change your mind.
Qhuinn abruptly lifted himself off Blay and straightened his clothes with a sharp tug. 'And now you offend my honor.' Facing off at John, he flipped into a fencing stance.
Touché.'
Blay laughed. 'That's en garde, you damn fool.'
Qhuinn shot a look over his shoulder. 'ça va, Brutus?'
Et tu?'
That would be tutu, I believe, and you can keep the cross-dressing to yourself, ya perv.'
Qhuinn flashed a brilliant smile, all twelve kinds of proud for being such an ass. 'Now, put the fuckers on, John, and let's be done with this. Before we have to put Blay in an iron lung.'
Try sanitarium.'
No, thanks, I had a big lunch.”

J.R. Ward
“How many of them were there?' Her voice wasn't joking around.
Eighteen. Hundred.'
Four,' Blaylock interjected. 'An honor guard of four.'
What did they work you over with? Those bruises on your thighs are severe?'
Crowbars. Big, massive-'
Blay cut in. 'Clubs. Had to be those ceremonial black clubs.”

J.R. Ward
“I love you forever" didn't always need to be spoken to be understood.”

J.R. Ward
“Next time you think of me like that , say my name when you come. It'll get you off even better.”

J.R. Ward
“For him , life was a coin that had disaster on one side and waiting for disaster on the other”

J.R. Ward
“Son of a bitch" Wrath breathed as a figure stopped twenty yards away.
The glowing man laughed "Well, if it isn't good king Wrath and his band of merry-merry happy-happy. I swear you boys should do kiddie shows, you're so fucking cheery."
"Great," Rhage murmered, "his sense of humor's still intact."
Vishous exhaled "Maybe I can try to beat it out of him-"
"Use his own arm to do it, if you can-"
Wrath glared at the two of them, who shot him back a pair of 'who-us?' stares”

J.R. Ward
“Before the man could answer V cursed "If I have to hear all that Keanu Reeves, Matrix, I am Neo' kind of shit my head's going to explode."
"Don't you mean Neon?" Butch shot back "Cause he reminds me of the Citgo sign."
Wraths head turned "Shut the fuck up. All of you.”

J.R. Ward
“For no good reason, he thought of Xhex. Xhex was a thunderstorm made up of hues of black and iron gray, power leashed but no less lethal for its control. Cormia was a sunny day cast in rainbow of brightness. He put his hand over his heart and bowed to her, then left. As he started up for his room, he wondered whether he liked the storm or the sunshine better.”

J.R. Ward
“You will leave now," she said softly, " or I will drag you out of here by your hair."
The man had breath like a day-old tuna sandwich. "I hate dykes. You always think you're tougher than you really----"
Xhex grabbed the man's wrist, turned him in a little circle, and cranked him arm up to the middle of his back. Then she clipped her leg around his ankles and shoved him off balance. He landed like a side of beef, the wind getting knocked out of him on a curse, his body plowing into the short-napped carpet. In a quick move, she bent down, buried one hand in his gelled-up hair, and locked the other on the collar of his suit jacket. As she draggep him face-first to the side exit, she was multitasking : creating a scene, commiting both an assault and a battery, and running the risk of a brawl if his buddies in the Hall of Fucktards got involved. But you had to put on a show every once in a while. To keep the peace, you had to get your hands dirty every once in a while.”

J.R. Ward
“Price,” Wrath said, still looking at his brother.
“Well, here’s the thing.” As the king cursed, the man, Lassiter, laughed. “It’s not a price, though.”
“What. Is. It.”
“We’re a two-for-one-deal.”
“Excuse me?”
“I come with him.”
“The fuck you do.”
The man lost any levity in his voice. “It’s past of the arrangement, and believe me, I wouldn’t choose this either. Fact is, he’s my last change, so yeah, I’m sorry, but I go with him. And if you say no, by the way, I’m going to level us all like that.”
The man snapped his fingers, a brilliant white spark flaring against the night sky.
After a moment, Wrath turned to John. “This is Lassiter, the fallen angel. One of the last times he was on earth, there was a plague in central Europe –“
“Okay, that was so not my fault –”
“ – that wiped out two-thirds of the human population.”
“I’d like to remind you that you don’t like humans.”
“They smell bad when they’re dead.”
“All you mortal types do.”
John could barely follow the conversation; he was too busy staring into Tohr’s face. Open your eyes…open your eyes…please God…
“Come on, John.” Wrath turned back to the Brotherhood and started walking. When he came up to them, he said softly, “Our brother is returned.”
“Oh, Christ, is he alive,” someone said.
“Thank God,” someone else groaned.
“Tell them,” Lassiter demanded from behind. “Tell them he comes with a roommate.”
As one, the Brothers’ heads snapped up.
“Fuck. Me, “Vishous breathed.
“I will so pass on that,” Lassiter muttered.”

J.R. Ward
“For fuck's sake, get off the cross. Someone else needs the wood.”

J.R. Ward
“... I feel as though I am shelved. That I have been given the words to the story of my life, but that I have remained largely unread...”

J.R. Ward
“he(Quinn)put his hand out to his friend. “I’ll lay my life down for you.With or Without that piece of paper”
tags: honor

J.R. Ward
“You've got nothing to worry about. The righteous do not always right, but their souls remain pure. -Lassiter the Angel”

J.R. Ward
“When he turned back around, his characteristic smart-ass smile was back in place. "Your wish is my command, prince of mine."
Don't call me that.
"How about good ol'-fashioned 'master'?" When John just glared over his shoulder, Quinn shrugged. "Fine. I'll go with fathead then. But that's your damage, I gave you options." [John & Qhuinn]”

J.R. Ward
“When they got to thew bottom of the stairwell, they stopped dead. Blay's father was facing off with a lesser, a Civil War sword in one hand, a dagger in the other.
Behind his Joe Friday glasses, his eyes were lit like torches, and they flicked over for a split second. "Stay out of this. This one's mine."
The shit was done faster than you can say, Ninja Dad.
Blay's father went Ginsu on the slayer, carving the thing up like a turkey, then stabbing it back to the Omega.”

J.R. Ward
“As much as we have free choice, absolute destiny is immutable. What is meant to happen does, through one measure or another.”

J.R. Ward
“See, this was the thing with Qhuinn. He could be out there and he could let his edge get away from him, but he always came back and made you feel like you were the single most important person in the world to him and that he was truly sorry for hurting your feelings.”

J.R. Ward
“Among the problems with shame was that it in fact did not make you shorter or quieter or less visible. You just felt like you were.”

J.R. Ward
“Whither thou know'est thy ass from thy elbow”

03/04/2012 page 39
7.0% "John and Cormia are so cute together."
03/04/2012 page 95
18.0% "This John and Xhex encounter is going to be so cute..."
03/04/2012 page 119
22.0% "This is kinda depressing.."
03/04/2012 page 288
54.0% "Omg..how could anything as grave as that be so funny..the monopoly references were so lol."
03/04/2012 page 372
70.0% "That was so terrible.."
03/04/2012 page 420
79.0% "This is totally killing me..."
show 1 hidden update…