Bryan Hall's Reviews > Shining in Crimson

Shining in Crimson by Robert S.  Wilson

M_50x66
Feb 19, 12

There's a lot going on in this book. While I love a good roller coaster ride of action and horror - and that's here, too - there's actually a lot going on under the hood in Shining in Crimson as well. I like books that try to go beyond just blood and guts, and works on different levels. Political and religious subtext is in this novel, giving it a nice extra layer many might miss. Thankfully, it's written in a way that doesn't beat you over the head. That makes this book easy to enjoy no matter if you're looking for a great thrill ride or a more ponderous read.

The premise is excellent, and draws from too many different influences to name (or at least I noticed a lot of them, could just be me). Dystopian Sci-Fi is here, obviously, and the vampires are put back to how they belong - scary and vicious. It's good to see new things being tried in horror and in the vampire genre specifically, and this book fits the bill.

My only complaint, and the reason it's given 4 stars instead of 5, is the same as some other reviewers have noted - there's a lot of 'telling' going on here and not enough 'showing'. While normally that kills a book for me, the plot, premise, and strong characters in Shining in Crimson helped me look beyond it.

I really look forward to seeing what Robert S. Wilson has up his sleeves next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shining in Crimson.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new) - added it

Robert Wilson Fading in Darkness the long-awaited sequel to Shining in Crimson is now available for Kindle! Trade Paperback and limited hardcover editions coming very soon. You can enter to win a signed trade paperback edition here on Goodreads right now!