Aliya DalRae's Reviews > Fireseed One

Fireseed One by Catherine Stine

Apr 25, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, fantasy
Read from April 23 to 24, 2012

Received Fireseed One from a Goodreads giveaway - Thanks!

Let me start by saying, I really enjoyed this book. The characters were likable (or not, as required) and easy to care about, and the world created by Cahterine Stine was absolutely remarkable. A futuristic tale of an Earth where the polar caps have melted, leaving the States and areas southward nearly uninhabitalbe, with temps soaring in the mid to upper 100's. Man has adapted, though, learning to grow engineered crops on man-made farming "islands" in the northern oceans. Varik has recently inherited his family's farm after the untimely death of his father, only to wake up one day and find that he's being robbed of the world's seed cache. He catches the thief - the fetching Marisa Baron, only to have her tell him that everything his father had taught him about the vicious refugees from the Hot Zone, were, if not altogether lies, than at least strongly affected by the death of Varik's mother at the hands of one of them.

When the entire crop of the world's main foodsource suddenly dies, it's up to Varik and his thief to travel to the Hot Zone and find a mystical plant that Varik's father had been working on - one that could not only sustain life without water and withstand incredible heat, but also that could crossbreed with any plant, making that plant heartier and more durable in the new climate of the world, thus saving the world - all of it - from starvation.

Fast paced, page-turning fun, with suspense, love and intrigue. The last three pages left me with my mouth hanging open and the words - "un-uhhhhhh" falling out as I desperately searched for more pages that, alas, were not to be found. Total shocker - can't wait to see what happens next!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireseed One.

04/24/2012 page 152

Catherine Stine Thanks, Shelly! Your last lines of the review made me laugh! Glad you enjoyed it, and yes, I'm beginning work on the sequel. Catherine