Fabian Scherschel's Reviews > Descent of Angels

211967
May 29, 12

bookshelves: scifi, warhammer40k
Read from February 24 to May 28, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Definitely not one of my favourites of the Horus Heresy series so far. I don't really mind the fact that this book completely deals with pre-Heresy stuff as I'm not opposed to change it up a little here and there, but the story itself just didn't grip me. The first part of the book (which makes up more then two thirds of the actual text) is basically a fantasy story and deals with the Dark Angels before the coming of the Emperor and before they even got the name "Dark Angels". I found this part rather dull and I guess it just wasn't what I had expected from a Space Marine novel.

Then there is a big jump in the timeline and we land right in the action as the Dark Angels, now the actual I Legion fighting in the Great Crusade, face off with followers of what I presume is a cult of Tzeentch. I actually really enjoyed this part of the story and had hoped we would see a lot more of this since, in my mind, that's what a Space Marine book should be about. Sadly, that part of the book was relatively short and gets cut off abruptly in the end. We also never find out what exactly happened to Luther and how his final betrayal will come about. I presume this will be followed up on in another book but most certainly not the next in the series, so it left me very disappointed.

This is a bit sad as I've always been a huge fan of the Dark Angels and this part of the retelling of their backstory hasn't gripped me at all. I can only hope it will get better in the next book when we get to the actual fall of Caliban. At least I hope that will be the focus of the next Dark Angels novel in this series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Descent of Angels.