Jennie's Reviews > Ella Minnow Pea

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

Jul 22, 2008

bookshelves: gg-modern, read-in-2010, read-in-march
Read on March 10, 2010 — I own a copy

This was a very short read for me, as in less than 2 hours of reading time. I bought this through B&N for my nook when it was on sale for around $3 and I am glad I got it when I did. I’m not sure I would have wanted to pay over $3 for something I read in less than 2 hours. That said, it was a really cute book and I recommend it to anyone who likes words, grammar, writing or reading. It was hysterical and sad. The High Council is taking over personal freedoms, one letter at a time and while trying to write and speak without using certain letters is funny on a basic level, the ability for a governing body to restrict communication in such a powerful way is downright scary. This novel reminded me of a more lighthearted Fahrenheit 451 because of the basic governmental control plot line. Ella and her family refuse to give into the new changes at first, and then decide to fight with a revolutionary attitude. I haven’t read many epistolary novels, but this one was easy to follow and was well told in this format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Minnow Pea.

03/10/2010 page 23