Erich Franz Guzmann's Reviews > Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers

Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers by Lawrence Watt-Evans

What a great short story! This is the first time I have read anything from Lawrence Watt-Evans and I am glad I finally did. I am definitely going to put some more of his books in my "to-reads" shelf.

Here is an awesome quote about parallel universes from his book here.
"See, everything that ever could possibly have happened, in the entire history of the universe right from the Big Bang up until now, _did_ happen -- somewhere. And _every_ possible difference means a different universe. Not just if Napoleon lost at Waterloo, or won, or whatever he didn't do here; what does Napoleon matter to the _universe_, anyway? Betelgeuse doesn't give a flying damn for all of Europe, past, present, or future. But every single atom or particle or whatever, whenever it had a chance to do something -- break up or stay together, or move one direction instead of another, whatever -- it did _all_ of them, but all in different universes. They didn't branch off, either -- all the universes were always there, there just wasn't any difference between them until this particular event came along. And that means that there are millions and millions of identical universes, too, where the differences haven't happened yet. There's an infinite number of universes, more than that an infinity of infinities, I mean you can't really comprehend it. If you think you're close then multiply that a few zillion times -- everything is out there."

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers.

Quotes Erich Liked

Lawrence Watt-Evans
“See, everything that ever could possibly have happened, in the entire history of the universe right from the Big Bang up until now, _did_ happen -- somewhere. And _every_ possible difference means a different universe. Not just if Napoleon lost at Waterloo, or won, or whatever he didn't do here; what does Napoleon matter to the _universe_, anyway? Betelgeuse doesn't give a flying damn for all of Europe, past, present, or future. But every single atom or particle or whatever, whenever it had a chance to do something -- break up or stay together, or move one direction instead of another, whatever -- it did _all_ of them, but all in different universes. They didn't branch off, either -- all the universes were always there, there just wasn't any difference between them until this particular event came along. And that means that there are millions and millions of identical universes, too, where the differences haven't happened yet. There's an infinite number of universes, more than that an infinity of infinities, I mean you can't really comprehend it. If you think you're close then multiply that a few zillion times -- everything is out there.”
Lawrence Watt-Evans, Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon Interesting...I've not read this one but I really enjoyed The Misenchanted Sword and his The Lords of Dus series.

Erich Franz Guzmann yeah, I really liked this one. It's a pretty quick read to and if you want to give it a try just google the title of it and the story is in one of the top links I believe, or if you have a nook or kindle you can get it to your device for only 99 cents. I was reading about the The Misenchanted Sword and it looks really good. I think that will be the next book I read of his. Though I haven't read anything about The Lords of Dus, so I'll go check that one out too. Thanks!