Renée's Reviews > The Complete Essays

The Complete Essays by Michel de Montaigne

Mar 10, 2012

Awesome collection of essays of de Montaigne. Provided me with a good insight in the values and lifestyle of the 16th century in France, the things that are of all times and the things specific to that time. It especially made me put the medical ´world´ into perspective. I always complain about doctors not knowing what is wrong with me and only being able to see disease when you´re pretty much dying from it, but back then half of the population died and doctors pretty much had no idea what they were doing so I feel more at ease now.
Or the fact that being a good person was more important back then, now it is all about being succesfull in all areas of life by finding a partner and a job that fulfills all our needs. Which is an illusory somewhat selfish way of life that makes us more important than we are.

I also wished I could bring de Montaigne alive and show him genetics and the way sperm and egg form a human being, because he was asking himself questions about that and we now have answers they didn´t have back then.

All in all a really good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Essays.