Megan's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

4.5 stars.
Oh, what the heck? Five stars.

Just, wow.

I remember Divergent being pretty angst-driven, but man, Veronica Roth outdid herself in Insurgent.

Tris, let's be real, was a mess. And, let's be even more real, that's why I love her character.

I'm pretty sick of seeing badass heroines--particularly in movies, but also in books--that can curb off trauma in order to continue their badassness unaffected. When you kill, even good people, your friends, when you're betrayed by those you love, when you see your loved ones die violent deaths, you will be grief-stricken and traumatized and suffer psychological breakdowns and I want to see characters become an emotional wreck in those situations. I don't want them to just move on, unchanged. I want them to struggle and suffer and grieve, because I want them to be human. It's why I loved Katniss, and it's why I love Tris.

And this is one of the biggest reasons Insurgent shined for me, but not the only one.

See, unlike Divergent, the action moved forward from the very first page. I didn't have to get through 300 pages of world and character building in order to get to the plot. The plot was unfolding already. We were moving forward. Insurgent was much more action-packed than I remember Divergent being, and for that reason, I rate it higher.

The relationship between Tris and Tobias is strained throughout much of this book, and this is part of the reason I wanted to rate it lower at first. I love this relationship, I do, but in this case the angst and their trials were, I think, an added weight to it all and it just felt so heavy at this point. (view spoiler)

The ending, too, was a bit choreographed and I wasn't sure. I mean, it works--it makes the entire dystopian landscape make much more sense, but it still seemed like a bit of a letdown. If it hadn't been hinted at so much as being something REALLY HUGE, maybe I wouldn't feel that way. It wasn't bad, it just failed to meet my expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

06/15/2012
6.0% "Had to look at Divergent to remember all the names--other than that, good start."
06/17/2012
65.0% "Tris! What did you think he was going to do?!"
68.0% "No. Way."
06/17/2012
77.0% "Apparently I have to take a turn driving, so, I have to put this book down. Wah!"
show 4 hidden updates…