Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Souls of Black Folk

The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, non-fiction
Read from February 18 to 26, 2012

One of the toughest, most interesting non-fiction reads I've experienced.

The Souls of Black Folk was required reading for me this year - although the class only dealt with five or so chapters, I was so intrigued by what I was reading that I had to finish the entire book.

Each essay provided plenty of food for thought - but most interesting to me was the essay on the education of former slaves - what was appropriate and what was not. This is a part of history that really hasn't been part of my education, and not only did I find it enlightening, historically speaking, I also found it to be relevant today - for all types.

With our focus on getting straight into college after high school (and my experience with some siblings that just doesn't work for), I think what Du Bois has to say is incredibly insightful. Not every person is cut out for a life of academia after high school, and specialized training is there for a reason. As I attend school, and each semester say goodbye to more and more friends who just, for whatever reason, are not coming back, I find myself thinking more about the ideas that Du Bois so eloquently writes down.

I recommend this reading. I think everyone should read it - and I challenge you to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Souls of Black Folk.