Darlene's Reviews > The Plains of Passage

The Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: audible, history, herstorical-fiction, horses, kindle, womyn, kindle-books-i-own, not-loanable
Recommended to Darlene by: Everyone
Recommended for: Anyone who hasn't read it yet.
Read from February 18 to 23, 2012, read count: Once but may read it again.

This was probably my favorite of the series both for the writing/research but also for the narration of Sandra Burr. I think Ms. Burr finally hit her Cave-womyn height with this one. I more often pulled away from the Kindle version and let Sandra tell me the story. In the Audible version, the characterizations were seamless. When it was a man talking, I pictured the man. I often forgot a womyn was narrating. She kept each of the female voices different enough and consistent enough that I wouldn't have needed to look to see who was talking. Amazing!

Another reason I enjoyed the Audible more than the Kindle (written) form was there were so many passages (no pun intended) of descriptions. I'm sure a lot of the research the Jean M. Auel did was represented here. But if you follow Discovery or other science channels, you would have already covered much of it. Ms. Burr kept those flowing and interesting. And her ability to pull the very essence of a sexual scene without making it raunchy was amazing (and sexy!)

I am writing this after starting the next book. I couldn't leave Ayla out there in the ether!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plains of Passage.