Laura's Reviews > A Waltz at Midnight

A Waltz at Midnight by Crista McHugh

Feb 19, 2012

bookshelves: netgalley, romance-and-or-erotica, short_story-collection-or-novella, rtheme-letters
Read from February 18 to 19, 2012

I waffled between four and five stars, mostly because I try to be very picky about five star reads. It's five stars for what it is, an extremely short (~55 pages) and direct sweet romance. On one hand, I would have liked it to be longer because I enjoyed it so much, on the other,I enjoyed how concise the story was, there aren't any extra obstacles thrown in just for funsies, nothing that felt like padding. Perhaps Susanna and Teddy fell in love a bit quickly. I like the trope of falling in love over letters, but since we got to read every letter, it was harder to believe that love. I would have liked just one or two lines that gloss over extra letters we don't get to see, so our imagination can fill in the lovely prose that led to love. I also really really enjoy a romance with few external obstacles, there was the main plot of the book and nothing else. It really tickled my fancy that the bitchy character was just a bitch for bitch's sake, and had no impact on the story. That's reality for ya!

So, a very very enjoyable use of half an hour or forty minutes, and perhaps one of the best examples of making good use of limited space in a romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Waltz at Midnight.