E's Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

May 13, 12

bookshelves: not-sure-how-to-feel, old-school-fantasy

Also Found On: A Book and A Record

Abandon was…difficult. I LOVE Meg Cabot books, seriously. She is one of the authors that I actually follow blog-wise. I think she is hilarious, I usually count down the days until her books are released, so I was pretty disappointed with Abandon. Abandon doesn’t sound like Meg to me (see, I call her Meg, that is how much of an affinity I have with this woman). Abandon sounds…older. I wanted to like this book, I wanted to like this book so much that I read it twice. I love Meg’s characters, I think that they are hilarious and captivating. Except Pierce. Pierce is kind of an idiot. Pierce is annoying. Pierce is...well, Pierce. I wanted Pierce to be more intellectual. She would do the strangest things and then expect everything to work out in her favor. I know that Meg's heroines aren't necessarily the brightest bulbs in the box, but I just felt like Pierce was being forced into a role that didn't really suit her, and with that I mean I felt that she was forced into being the "nice girl" everyone is always telling her how nice and helpful and great she is, which is nice, except I would like to see how nice and helpful and great she is, not have characters telling me right and left. I don't know, maybe I'm alone in this, but if you want a Persephone re-imagining then skip this one for something else. (I recommend The Goddess Test, even though it’s completely different from the actual Persephone tale. Still, the characters were more entertaining and less ridiculous than in Abandon.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.