Blake's Reviews > Speak

2044060
Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read in February, 2012

There is always a danger in books that deal with "social issues" that the author will fall into commonly didactic phrasing and drain the blood of a book, rather than infuse it. This is probably even more common in books aimed at younger readers where such a practice is less likely to be picked up on or criticised, but Halse Anderson's Speak is a good example of how to let the material breathe a bit and "speak" for itself.

The themes are common ones and some readers may even think they're objectionably so, but a reflection on the area of life picked out by the writer ought to suggest otherwise. She manages to bring a lot of colour to a presentation more obviously suggesting grey, achieving this by giving her protagonist (also the narrator) a justifiably sardonic sense of humour, and substituting subtle characterisation and understated warmth for the typical overindulgence of sensational effects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen There is no U in color. This is America, damn it!

Blake No, this is Spart...you know what, I'm not even going to finish that joke. These popular cultural references are killing my creativity and I refuse to be an accessory to that murder. It's time to shrug off the oppression of everyone's latest meme and contribute to the world in a constructive way.

Hi Kristen.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen [image error]

Blake No, you may not have a cheeseburger: you are a cat, and eating said burger might hurry the onset of health problems relating to digestion.

You may have canned tuna or salmon.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Byron I find cats love high doses or mercury

Blake You scare me more and more each day: you're like Britney's career choices.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Byron I mean if you give them a can of tuna....

Blake I'm sure you do. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

Kristen, where are you? Shouldn't you have popped up with a book about the mating habits of cats by now?

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I was on vacation, remember I sent you that photo?

And man do I ever have cat books to recommend! Oh, wait, did you actually want to list them, that sounds like a lot of work.

Blake Recommendations will be fine, but what's important is the follow-through. Do you know what happens to people who don't follow through? They get accused of lacking follow-through.