Josephine's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: Young Reader's Edition

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Feb 18, 2012

liked it
Read from February 18 to 21, 2012

Am I pathetic for reading the young reader's edition of this one? I have to be honest, I did try the adult version about a year ago but just got plain bored and couldn't read past the first chapter. I was kind of excited to find a young reader's edition so I could just get the gist of the story without all the fluff. That's what I got with this, so I enjoyed it.
I thought it was funny when it started out like this: "I hope this story inspires you and that it's fun to read about other children like you..."
So I'm a kid at heart.
Anyway, I give this three stars because it was a well written book and now I know what all the hype is all about. However about midway through this book I read about the scandal going on with it and it kind of ruined it for me in that I was annoyed that a lot of it might (or might not, who knows?) be completely fabricated and if not fabricated, really bad truth stretching. This book did however hint at Greg's issues with not being a very good business man and taking on way more than he could handle. From what I've read of the controversy it sounds like he really did have good intentions but that he had no idea how to handle all this money he was taking in. Therefore it's all been severely mismanaged to the point where he could be in really big trouble. But I don't really know.
In this special edition book it included an interview at the end with Greg's 12 year old daughter, Amira. It was sad to read about how her dad is so busy trying to save the world, he seems to have forgotten he has children of his own. That's not exactly how she phrased it, but she kept talking about how hard it is on their family and how much she misses him. Even when he is home he is stressing out about refugees and pacing the floor worrying all night long. It is a really sad world we live in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen I read this book when Greg and Talena introduced me to it a couple of years ago. That's nice that there's a Young Reader's Edition of it, as it was kind of long. But good. I'll be interested to see how you like it.